Halifax, Nova Scotia
The 2012 WFCP World Congress held in Halifax was a great success! It provided our members and delegates from all over the world with the opportunity to present the latest trends in the higher applied education sector, showcase the research, ideas and innovation that are strengthening applied education, present the realities of our sector in a global context, and bond with colleagues and partners who share an interest in the college and polytechnics sector.
Some of the presentations made by WFCP members during the congress are posted here for your convenience.
Ann Buller, President of Centennial College – Keynote Address video
- International Projects – José Luis Maure Fernandez, TKNIKA et Sylvain Goudreau, Cégep de l’Outaouais
- SABER – Systems Approach for Better Education Results Tertiary Education Governance – Quentin Wodon, World Bank
- Trade Commissioner – Beijing – China – Calvin Zhang
- World Federation of Colleges and Polytechnics – Yannick Cabassu, WFCP
- Mulheres Mil Project – Gutenberg Albuquerque, IF Ceara
- Restructuring Technical and Vocational Training in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia – Dr Saleh Al-Amr, Technical and Vocational Training Corporation (TVTC)
- The Voices of Learners in the Development and Delivery of the TVET Curriculum – Dr. Marcia Rowe-Amonde, Vocational Training Development Institute
- The importance of international collaboration for Santo Tomas institutions – Jaime Alcalde, Rector, Instituto Profesional DuocUC
- TVET Reform and Opening up in China – Dr. Jiang Bo, Secretary-General, CEAIE
- Advanced Skills for Africa’s Development: Opportunities and Constraints – George Afeti, Commonwealth Association of Polytechnics in Africa (CAPA)
- Technological universities in Mexico – Jesus Maria Contreras Esperanza, Asociación Nacional de Universidades Tecnológicas (ANUT)
- Canada’s Innovation Ecosystem: College talent needed – Nobina Robinson, CEO, Polytechnics Canada
- Portuguese Higher Education: Present and Future Challenges– Mario Barata, Conselho Coordenador dos Institutos Superiores Politécnico (CCISP)
- The cegeps in Québec: mobility, pathways and transferability – Sylvie Thériault, Cégep international
WFCP convened collaborative meetings including an annual World Congress. The first World Congress was held in 1999. The seventh WFCP World Congress was held in Halifax, Nova Scotia May 26-29, 2012.
The 2012 World Congress engaged participants from around the world. Dialogue, debate and discussion examined the ties between applied education and job creation, economic growth and vibrant rural and urban communities.
Delegates and an exciting list of keynotes speakers from around the world were in Halifax, Nova Scotia May 26-29, 2012 and shared:
- best practices in leadership and transformation
- pedagogy for a new global generation of learners
- quality assurance
- standards across borders
- inclusion of indigenous and marginalized peoples
- … and much more.
World Congress was not restricted to WFCP and AoC members and was open to:
- All Colleges, polytechnics and technical institutes
- Higher education institutes with a primary vocational focus
- International awarding bodies
- Policy makers and government officials
- National agencies working in vocational education and skills training
- Independent and private learning providers
- International suppliers of educational products and services
The International Executive Leadership Institute
The Institute is a dynamic leadership building opportunity for emerging leaders of colleges and polytechnics. The Institute took place before the Congress.